Sunday, April 17, 2011

Book Review: One Second After

There's been much talk in the prepping community about the novel One Second After by William Forstchen, so I decided to check it out at the local library. It's a fictional story about life after an EMP strike over the United States, which disables almost all electronic devices. Basic things such as newer vehicles, electricity, running water, land lines and cell phones suddenly no longer work. The story focuses on a small town in rural North Carolina and its struggles to survive. Food and medicine shortages, coupled with unsanitary conditions and roving gangs of marauders plague the town's inhabitants.

Once you get past the sometimes poor grammar, run-on sentences, and consistent use of "should of" instead of "should have" (the editor should be shot!), the story is actually quite engaging. I actually cried a few times when things went wrong for the protagonist, and found myself praying that I'd never be put in a position where I had to sacrifice my pets for my family's survival, or defend myself against my neighbors.

The novel definitely makes you think. No one can know for certain because it (thankfully) hasn't happened, but it's probably a very good representation of how things would go down if an EMP strike did occur. What makes it even scarier is the knowledge that Iran and/or North Korea may have created a bomb capable of producing an EMP large enough to implement this scenario. And they don't especially like us.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting read, Kris. At least, it makes you think about "what if?"

    Thanks for commenting and following my blog. I'm following you too! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One Second After was possibly the scariest book I've read and really make me think about emergency preparedness and my community. I loved it though and it's one of those I can see myself re-reading for things that I missed or to get myself re-inspired.

    ReplyDelete