Saturday, May 7, 2011

Here we grow

Turns out there's not always a whole lot to blog about with a garden. On top of that, I've had a busy schedule lately. I'm having fun, though, and learning as I go. I've "met" some nice people in the square foot gardening forum, and on several blogs I follow. Today I thought I'd share some garden photos.

The hubster installed a soaker hose across all the garden beds for me, even burying it where it crossed the walking aisle so I wouldn't trip on it :)  Notice how green the grass looks right next to the boxes. Also, notice the arrows we found in a field near our house, which work great for staking the tomato plants. I'm all about free!
















In general, the soaker hose makes watering much easier. But when I plant new seeds in a box, unless the seeds are right under the hose, I don't think they'll get enough water.  There are a couple of places (like in the photo at left) where the hose travels over ground between boxes. I usually put a basin under the hoses there to catch water, which I use to water the seeds not reached by the hose.















Here's a shot of my largest chard plant looking happy. You can see some smaller chard plants, too.















I planted two squash seeds here, and they both came up. I hate "thinning" seedlings. I have a hard time killing a perfectly healthy plant. I haven't decided yet if I will pull one up or try to let both grow.











One of my tomato plants is flowering! But, it's the only one so far. Can tomato plants self-pollinate?















I started a lot of seeds indoors this year, including oregano and basil. Basil is easy enough, but the oregano seeds are tiny, and I'm having a difficult time getting the seeds to even germinate, and beyond that, not accidentally killing the tiny plants when watering. I decided to wait and plant thyme seeds outdoors after the frost date. I was worried the seeds would be blown away, so I planted a pinch of seeds together. Wouldn't you know it, it looks like every seed germinated! I probably can't get away without thinning these down.




 Lastly, I planted a square with half onion and half chive seeds. So far, I have one lonely chive.






















Most of my other plants are doing well, too. The jalapeno plant I started from seed has survived two transplants and still seems happy. The pea plants are developing tendrils and soon I'll have to start training them to grow up the fence. I have transplanted broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage seedlings outdoors and they are all doing fine so far. Radish, carrot and beet plants look good (at least the above-ground parts). I haven't had much problem with pests, which may be a perk of living in a newly developed neighborhood, where every yard has new sod and all the trees are young.

How does your garden grow?

1 comment:

  1. Keep the pictures coming! It really helps to see what these darn seeds are SUPPOSED to look like IF i can actually get them to grow! LOL.

    ReplyDelete