Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sun Oven Brownies

Today I made brownies in the sun oven. I used a recipe that came with the oven:

Brownies

Makes 1 8x8 pan or 4 pint jars
1 c shortening, 2 c sugar, 2 c white flour, 1 tsp vanilla, 4 eggs, 2/3 c baking cocoa, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt
optional: 1 c chopped walnuts

Mix shortening, sugar, and vanilla. Add eggs and mix. Add flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and vanilla and mix. Bake in 8x8 pan (or jars) about 45 min or until done.

Frosting:
6 Tb shortening, 6 Tb cocoa, 2 Tb corn syrup, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 c powdered sugar, 2-4 Tb milk

I have never made brownies from scratch before, so this was a double lesson for me. The batter seemed a little thick. I almost added some water, but then decided to just follow the recipe for the first attempt.

I don't have an 8 x 8 pan like the recipe calls for, so I doubled the recipe to make it in a larger pan. I put the batter in the pan and smoothed it out, then took it out to the oven on the back porch...


...where I quickly realized that the pan would not fit in the oven :( I brought it back inside and transferred the brownie batter to a round roasting pan.


The recipe had called for baking 45 minutes, but since I doubled the recipe, I let it cook for longer--about two hours. How to tell if it was done? I just did what the package brownies say to do--I stuck a toothpick in the center. It came out clean, which meant they were ready. They came out a little lopsided, though, presumably from tilting the sun oven during cooking.


I debated making the frosting, and decided to go with it. However, I wish I hadn't.


Even though it looks appetizing, the frosting was my least favorite part of the brownies. I think it was just too heavy on the shortening. The brownies themselves were moist and cakey, just like I like them :)

If I make these again, I'll leave off the frosting. Also, I will find a way to make a single batch. The double batch is a huge amount of brownie, especially with just two of us in the house. I will probably take some to work to give away.

Making brownies from scratch was fairly easy. I hand-stirred everything; I wanted to make them as I would if no power were available. Besides eggs, the shortening is the ingredient most prone to spoilage. According to the package of shortening I bought, it's good for about a year unopened.

2 comments:

  1. Thoses look fabulous! I have been thinking about getting a sun oven. We don't get much sun here so I don't know how well it would work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd sure like a big bowl of those, with vanilla ice cream and some Cool Whip on it. I'd say that was a big success.

    ReplyDelete