Thursday, November 10, 2011

The End of the Garden, Oklahoma Earthquakes, Muslims, the GOP Candidate Debate, Surviving the Balkan Wars, and Veterans Day

Well I haven't posted much lately because I haven't had much to say. Even though I like to blog and enjoy having a place to talk about what's on my mind, I'm actually not the most chatty of persons. Not to mention, even though I've been busy, it's just been the normal day-to-day stuff. Ho-hum.

We had our first freeze of the season last week, and most of my garden is now finished. I have a few lettuce plants, some chard, strawberries, and broccoli/cauliflower/cabbage (not sure what they are--they probably won't amount to much) still hanging on. I picked up a square bale of straw and will mulch the beds over before winter sets in in earnest.

This year was probably not the ideal year to teach myself how to maintain a real garden. Because it was so abnormally hot all summer, I didn't get to see how the plants will normally react. I planted several varieties of tomatoes this year, so I could pick the ones I liked best, but I only got ripe tomatoes off of a few of them.


I did learn a lot, though. I know way more about garden pests than I did a few short months ago, and I even have an idea how to control some of them. I've decided for the last time (something I say every year I plant veggies) that I will not plant any more squash; the plants are too big and I rarely have good production, or else they get diseases. I've kept a notebook of things I think I did well and things to not do again, like don't plant peas and green beans next to cucumbers, because the cucumber leaves will crowd out and shade out the pea and bean plants--not to mention hog the fence. And DO plant sunflowers: they're like huge yellow beacons to the pollinators.



If you haven't heard already, Oklahoma had some large (for us) earthquakes this weekend. I think the largest was a 5.6 on the Richter scale, which breaks the Oklahoma record.  I slept through the first one on Friday night (really early Saturday morning), but was awake for the ones on Saturday and Sunday night--my first earthquakes! The house rattled a little and a lampshade shook. The cat got a little spooked but the dog didn't seem to notice. And that was it. Those three were the only ones that were felt where I live (about an hour's drive from the epicenters), but they say we’ve had 30 more earthquakes that registered a 3.0 or higher in just the last few days. There is much talk in the MSM about fracking being the cause of the earthquakes, but I'm not jumping on that bandwagon yet. There are arguments for and against it. Personally, I haven’t made up my mind.


I was going to write about how disgusted I am about the new All-American Muslim television show that’s starting soon on TLC, but Duke beat me to it. Could they be any more blatant about trying to brainwash us? How unpatriotic. TLC should be ashamed of themselves. 


The hubster and I watched the Republican presidential candidates’ debate last night. The election is only a year away so we figured we’d better start looking at our options. I ruled out a few and made a mental note to keep a closer eye on several more. At this point, I’m not without hope for a new president worth his salt. 


I read this post on Tactical Intelligence yesterday and consequently bookmarked Selco’s blog. If you’re a fan of FerFAL’s, you might check it out. Selco is from Bosnia and weathered the Balkan wars in a town surrounded by the enemy, without water, electricity, fuel or commerce for a year. I’m expecting lots of sage advice from his blog. Interestingly, he differs from FerFAL in that he says living with a small group of close friends or relatives away from the city is better than living in an urban setting. FerFAL was more of the opinion that living in an urban setting is safer than living out in the sticks where no one would be around to help you if trouble came calling, and also better than trying to live in one house or small commune with only a few other people, because you’d never agree on how to run things, you’d get on each other’s nerves, and chaos would ensue. Their situations are a little different from each other, but there’s plenty to learn from both of them. 


Tomorrow is VeteransDay. My heartfelt thank you to all who have served and are serving. Thank you for your sacrifices.

5 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you...I'll check the blog, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I rained on you parade, write about the show anyway I would like to hear your take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen, I think it will be a good read. I haven't had much time to read it myself yet.

    No worries, Duke. I was going to say basically the same thing you said. The MSM is just a tool used by the powers that be to try and shape our thoughts. How any American could support a people or religion that wants our nation destroyed is beyond me. "All-American" Muslim sounds like an oxymoron to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. you are full of all kinds of thoughts today. and my tired little brain is unable to comment on all of them.

    but i thank you for mentioning Veteran's Day/Remembrance Day....and i join you in thanking all veterans!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kymber, I know, I ramble sometimes :) Thanks for stopping by, and get some rest!

    ReplyDelete