Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Target Practice

The hubster and I (along with my mom, brother-in-law and sister-in-law) were invited to do some shooting on the private property of a friend of a friend this past Saturday. A few other people who I didn't know were invited as well, so there was about ten of us altogether.

We had been to this property once before for some target practice. The man whose property it is, is a gun instructor. He teaches concealed carry as well as some other classes. He has about 20 acres, which he says backs up to someone else's 1200 acres, none of which is developed. He has set up the target area in a cleared back corner of his property. A few yards into the woods behind the clearing is a small cliff, which is convenient for stopping any bullets that make it that far.

He went over a few basic safety instructions with us, and then we got to shooting. There were a lot of different guns. I shot about five of them. One that was new to me was a 20-gauge, double barrel shotgun. I have shot a 20-gauge single barrel a few years ago, but it was my first time shooting a double-barrel shotgun. It was fun, I guess. I only knicked one clay pigeon, and I still have a bruise from the gun's kick. 

I also shot our .357. I like that gun, though I seem to be in the minority for it. Most of the men I've talked to prefer a gun that can hold more rounds. My mom and my SIL both don't like it, I guess because it's so loud and it has a big kick. The noise is a good thing in my opinion--it'll scare any criminals when I fire it, whether I actually hit them or not. And like I said in a previous post, I like that it's ready to shoot--no cocking and no checking to make sure the safety is off. Just aim and fire.   

After the .357 I shot a Glock 22 (.40 calibur). This one is the hubster's favorite. I liked it okay, but I feel more comfortable with the .357. 

My target (large middle) after firing the .357 and the Glock, at about 25 feet.
I also shot a .22 Browning Buckmark that belongs to our friend. I shot this gun the last time we came for target practice at this property. It's easy to shoot and doesn't have any kick to speak of. It's fun. I was probably most accurate with this gun. Unfortunately I wouldn't want this gun for home protection because it might not be powerful enough to stop a zombie's approach.

My target after firing the .22 Browning, 25 feet.
The last gun I shot was a .22 rifle. This was my first time shooting this gun and only the second time I've ever shot a gun with a scope. I shot it while sitting on the ground and leaning on a small table. The target kept dancing around. I always hear people say stuff about timing your breathing, but I haven't learned how to do that yet. I tried just holding my breath but that didn't make the target stop dancing. 

My target after firing the .22 rifle with scope, at about 50 yards.
All in all it was a good experience. Each time I handle our guns, I get a little more comfortable with them and I remember the nuances a little better. There was mention of another target practice in February or March, maybe with a car for shooting up. Hopefully we will be invited.

On Sunday the hubster and I spent a few hours cleaning guns. I would have taken pictures but I was too busy learning. Maybe next time. 

And now for your viewing pleasure...

One of the guys had an AR-15 that he bought a bump stock for. If you don't know what that is, don't ask me to explain it because I didn't pay that much attention to how it works. What I think I understand is that after you pull the trigger the first time, the momentum causes you to keep passively pulling the trigger (until you remove your finger), thereby skirting the "only one shot per trigger pull" legality and essentially rapid-firing like an automatic weapon. What surprised everyone about it was how smoothly it worked. This is the property owner, firing it for the first time.






4 comments:

  1. Good for you. As far at the .357 and its six rounds...if you can't solve the problem with six rounds, throw the gun and go home. I think it'll work just fine for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris, please run over to moderndayredneck.blogspot.com come and tell MDR what you'd like your sign to say on the project underway. Your sign is sponsored by me...I'm giving away a few to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kris, Your blog comes highly recamended by Stephen. I am now your newest family member. Stephen has sponsored you a spot on the Solar Bathroom wall to promote your blog. Come by the blog or drop me a email at moderndayredneck@gmail.com and let me know what you want your personal sign to say.
    Thank you and I will be looking foward in hearing from you and reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen, I'm inclined to agree with you that six rounds should be enough to solve the problem, unless it's a zombie horde.

    Thank you so much for the sign! Your Little Bit definitely has a thoughtful Papa.

    MDR, I've noticed you commenting on many of the blogs I read. I've glanced at your blog and will be over soon to do some reading. I'll have to think about what I want my sign to say. What a cool project :)

    ReplyDelete