Friday, December 30, 2011

Book Review: The Ultimate Suburban Survivalist Guide


I just finished reading The Ultimate Suburban Survivalist Guide: The Smartest Money Moves to Prepare for Any Crisis by Sean Brodrick. Contrary to what the title suggests, this book does not focus solely on money and investing. Brodrick spends a great deal of time discussing all the facets of prepping, including stocking up, bug-out-bags, medical preparation, and home security, to name a few. 

The thing I liked most about this book was all the resources the author identified. He gives websites for almost every topic he covers, albeit frequently in tinyurl form (I prefer to just have the actual website). There is also a section entitled “Building a Survival Library” that includes six pages of recommended book titles, with a short synopsis of what each book covers.

Outside of the investing information (which is the field in which Brodrick works), most of the survivalist stuff could be classified as good knowledge for beginners. However, I did find a few good suggestions or different approach angles that I hadn’t considered before. Being a gardener, I especially enjoyed the list of common medicinal herbs and how to use them, as well as another list I’ve never seen before: 23 Home Remedies from the Spice Rack.  And the chapter on home security provided some useful information and new-to-me ideas about making it less easy for intruders to gain access to your house, how to choose a security system that’s right for you, and clever ways to hide valuables in your home, plus quite a few other topics. It was probably my favorite chapter, though I felt the author could have expounded more on gun ownership; but then, that’s a highly opinionated topic anyway.

Overall, the book was good. I borrowed it from the library, and I’m glad I read it. I will take some notes from it, but I don’t intend to buy it. It didn’t have enough information that I didn’t already know to justify the $27.95 price tag.

2 comments:

  1. Great site & thanks for the review!

    -The Tennessee Prepper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tennessee Prepper :)

    ReplyDelete