Friday, February 10, 2012

Dehydrator Update


I promised to give an update on the dehydrator I bought in December. Here’s the update: I still love it!
At this point I’m still very glad that I didn’t spend a lot of money on an Excalibur. My little store brand dehydrator does a fine job. If I had to pick one thing that I don’t like about it, it’s that the holes in the trays are a little too large, making it difficult to dehydrate small things like herbs without lining the trays with plastic wrap first. But that’s a small inconvenience, as far as I’m concerned. And I’ve been able to just leave the plastic wrap on the trays and reuse it multiple times without any problems. Since the fan is at the back of the unit instead of on the bottom, the plastic wrap doesn’t stop the heat/air from circulating around whatever I'm drying.
Of all the stuff I’ve dried so far, we use the mushrooms the most. It’s so easy to add mushrooms to a variety of dishes. I’ll be buying more mushrooms to dehydrate when they go on sale again.
We’re just using everything I’ve dried so far, but I’ve got some oxygen absorbers ready, and plan to start putting up some stuff for long-term storage, either in mylar or in canning jars.

4 comments:

  1. On construction sites we would heat our lunch by putting them in our car window at morning break time and they would be hot by noon. I wonder if such a thing would work for a dehydrator. Seems like that T.V. show about a pandemic in the Los Angelos (Tainter was one of the talking heads) has something like that at the rural compound they wound up at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another blogger experimented with it, but more for baking than dehydrating, here: http://theharriedhomemakerpreps.blogspot.com/2011/07/can-you-use-mini-van-to-bake-cookies.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheHarriedHomemakerPreps+%28The+Harried+Homemaker+Preps%29

      I've heard of other people doing it as well. Sounds like it would work in a pinch; you just wouldn't have thermostat control.

      Delete
  2. I like to simply eat dehydrated mushrooms (sliced) in place of potato chips. One year one of our grocery stores had a huge overstock and put the mushrooms on sale for 49 cents a pound. I dehydrated mushrooms for days! My kids even loved dunking them in dip like chips, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, we snack on those too! I recently got a good deal on mushrooms (though not as good as yours) and dehydrated a few mason jars' worth.

      Delete