Friday, February 3, 2012

New Year, New Resolutions part 1


How’s everyone doing on their New Year’s resolutions? I’ve yet to post mine, so I’ll be posting them (7 in all) over the next couple of days with a little progress update as well. These are my prepping-related goals/resolutions for 2012:

1.     Plan and plant a garden on time.  Last year I was slow to get started; hence, many of my plants got stifled by the heat before they could grow and produce anything.

--> How’m I doing? So far, so good. I’ve got a plan for the layout of the garden, being certain to not plant the same types of plants in the same place as last year, and also to not plant them where something else was planted that they don’t get along with, and also keeping in mind what things do well growing next to each other and what don’t, and also trying to keep in mind a plan for succession planting.  Yeah. Wish me luck.

One thing I’d like to do some more research on is heat shielding. I’ve never tried it before and I don’t know if I have the room to try it now. But I’m going to do some reading about it.

2.     Plan and plant an herb garden (cooking and medicinal). I’d like to learn more about how to use herbs for medicinal purposes, in case the day comes that regular medicines are unavailable or are just too damn expensive. Besides that, they’re probably better for you and will have less side effects.

--> How’m I doing? Erm…I haven’t done anything on this front yet. Part of the problem is that I don’t have space for an herb garden. I can add a few plants to the flowerbeds out front, and maybe I can grow a few in pots or something. But I doubt anything I plant in the back yard will evade an attack from the dog, and anything I plant on the side of the house, outside the back yard, will probably be either pillaged or destroyed by the neighbor’s unsupervised kid. I may just have to start small this year, with a few plants in the flowerbed, until I can figure out a better plan.

3.     Plant a fruit tree. Or two, depending on what I decide. I have been looking into fruit cocktail trees, of the stone fruit variety. I just can’t decide if these are a gimmick or not. I have seen photos of full-grown citrus fruit cocktail trees, but none of the stone fruit ones. Do they all fail? Also, some of the stone fruits will grow well where I live and others won’t.  I’ll have to think about this some more. If I don’t get one tree with several grafts that will enable the tree to be self-pollinating, then I’ll have to get two fruit trees, so they can pollinate each other. There again, I run into space and dog issues.

--> How’m I doing? Well, considering that last year I had a goal to plant a fruit cocktail tree, not so good, I guess. But then, maybe I’ve made the right choice about not going that route. In any case, the best time to plant bare-root trees (which is what I’ll most likely purchase) is during the winter, so this goal may have to wait until the end of this year/beginning of next.

No comments:

Post a Comment