Monday, February 6, 2012

New Year, New Resolutions part 2



Continuing with my NYRs update...


4.     Get to know our neighbors. I’ve an idea about some of our neighbors, but many of them we don’t know at all, and our neighborhood keeps expanding. Some I already know would be asset in a SHTF situation. And I can think of at least two households that would be liabilities. But truthfully, we’ve only spent any real time with our next-door neighbors to the east.
--> How’m I doing? Well, I have a plan for a spring get-together/potluck cookout- type situation. There is (currently) a field at the end of our cul-de-sac, and even using the cul-de-sac itself would not (currently) block anyone’s driveway. Otherwise, they just completed the asphalt work on a new cul-de-sac that has no houses on it—we’d just have to transport the grill. And the tent-thingy. And chairs. And whatever else we need. I also want to get together with the hubster and talk about what kinds of questions it would be good to ask people, in order to get a better sense of what they’d have to offer if things really go south.

Also, at some point we are supposed to start a homeowner's association. Our builder told us they typically get started once the neighborhood signs and landscaping are put in place. We noticed this last week that they have been doing a lot of work on the landscaping, so I imagine the HOA is not far off. That will be another chance to meet and assess the neighbors. 
5.     Can more, dehydrate more. I really want to get more proficient at canning. At this point I only have a water bath canner. I’m keeping an eye on craigslist for a pressure canner and for canning jars, but I’m not having much luck. May have to break down and buy new, if it gets to reaping time and I still don’t have a pressure canner.
--> How’m I doing? Well, good with the dehydrator. Time will tell with the canning.






6.     More gun proficiency. ‘Nuff said.
--> How’m I doing? Not so good. I’m a little at a loss as to how to make this happen. I’d need to handle a gun every day for a long time in order to start to really feel comfortable with one, and to know I wouldn’t just panic in a situation where I needed to wield one. As it is, we go shooting maybe once or twice a year. The hubster and I talked yesterday about me at least getting more comfortable loading and unloading, and just getting used to how to hold them, etc. That's something we could work on in the living room, even.

2 comments:

  1. I've always like that first photo.... and hated it. It would certainly convince me to "move on" to safer neighborhood to prey on if was wanting to loot or cause problems. But I'd certainly have a good case against anyone who did shoot me ( if I survived ). It would be a lot easier to paint them as a bunch of drunken rednecks looking for a fight especially if I had a jury that was sympathetic towards me.

    My neighborhood tried to start a "neighborhood watch" program last April. Between the young man that was currently in the local police boot camp trying to convince everyone how important he was soon to become and the neighbor who wanted to keep telling the officer presenting the program to us how many people had guns, I left wanting no part of it. The program never went anywhere.

    Hey, thanks for adding me to your blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet. I could have sworn I added you a long time ago, but when I looked for your blog it wasn’t there.

    Yep I debated whether I should use the photo or not. In the end it won out, as an attempt to keep things lighthearted. Thinking of looters can get depressing.

    Hopefully we’ll have better luck with the HOA than you had with your Neighborhood Watch meeting. If it does go the same way your meeting went, at least we’ll know more about what we’re dealing with.

    ReplyDelete