Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Thoughts on the RNC

I watched part of the Republican National Convention last night, for the first time ever, I think. I usually skip it as just so much pomp and circumstance. It's probably a sign of the times that I decided to watch: politics are becoming more important to people my age and younger who have never dealt with times like our grandparents went through, and so have dismissed a lot of political rhetoric because it hasn't really touched our lives. I mean, while I was growing up it didn't seem to make much difference whether we had an R or a D in the Oval Office: I still had food and shelter and all my other needs met. Really, until the last five years or so, it hasn't seemed that my daily life was affected by who held any political office. Not so, anymore. Once it hits you in the pocketbook you start to take notice, eh? And once you start to take notice...well, it's almost like a loss of innocence, in a way. Once you know, you can never go back to not knowing.

But, I digress.

While I was watching, I was thinking in terms of future presidential nominees. I liked John Kasich (Ohio governor), John Barrasso (Wyoming senator), and Luis Fortuno (Puerto Rico governor). Of course, these were first impressions, but first impressions are important, in my opinion. I'll be paying more attention now to these three. Chris Christie, the New Jersey governor, has been in the spotlight here and there since assuming office, and usually with favorable reviews from vocal Republicans, but my mind isn't made up yet. He tries too hard...or something. There's something about him I don't quite trust yet. The rumor around the interwebs is that he plans to run for president in 2016. Guess we'll see.

Oklahoma governor Mary Fallin spoke at the convention, but I guess she didn't get air time (at least not on the station I was watching). A co-worker told me he saw a clip of her speech on the news, and she looked/acted like a beauty queen contestant. I can't comment since I didn't see it. I plan to try and find the clip online.




And, could they not find any Republican commentators? I know there's slim pickings in media land, but it seems like they could have found some. I was watching PBS and I thought their anchors were as close to openly antagonistic as they could get without overstepping boundaries. It seemed more like an inquisition than a conversation. Really, PBS? I thought that was in poor taste.


On a different note, has anyone seen the website put out by the Obama campaign, Who is Fighting for Middle Class Tax Cuts? You can input your family's income and see your tax savings and/or increase according to Obama's and Romney's tax plans. Of course, no matter what income level is entered, you have tax savings with Obama's plan and a tax increase with Romney's plan. Let's just pretend for a moment that this is not skewed at all, absolutely no assumptions were made, it's completely unbiased and all facts are known. Umm, so what? We're in debt, people! How can we expect to get out of debt without spending any money? It's sad that many Americans would have made better choices, and wouldn't have put our nation in the crisis we're currently weathering, and now those same people (read: you and I) are going to have to shell out to fix it. But I don't see any other way around it. Do you? It'll definitely help (a really LOT) if we cut wasteful spending, but that won't get rid of the debts we now owe. Just my two cents on the subject.

Alright, then.

2 comments:

  1. The Republicans have generally had the tighter convention so there is little potential fire real fireworks. Even Reagan, who ran pretty close to Ford (after he started his winning streak in the North Carolina primary I might add), didn't really make a dent.

    The big news was that Ron Paul was left out in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I'm surprised there's been nothing on Ron Paul as well.

    ReplyDelete