Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Emergency Notebooks

Recently I've been spending a lot of time researching and printing out information that might be useful in a grid-down, or really any, emergency situation. I've culled the best stuff from a bunch of websites (with credits, of course), printed it, organized it, and voila! I'm now the proud owner of a 5-notebook library on emergency survival.

I divided all the information into five main categories, which then became the notebook titles you see in the photo. Then, within each notebook I divided everything into subcategories, with a sort of table of contents at the front of each notebook to hopefully help make it easier to find what I'm looking for.  Each topic is housed in its own sheet protector, making it easier for me to remove it from the notebook when I need it without having to open the binder, while also lessening the wear and tear on all those sheets of paper.


I had some store-bought dividers that I tried to use for the subcategories, but they were smaller in size than the sheet protectors, so I spent more time searching for the dividers than just flipping through all the pages. The hubster suggested using some manila folders he had in his file cabinet. I cut the folders in half, put masking tape along the cut edge on the side of the folder with the tab (as reinforcement), and then punched holes through the folder and tape so I could insert them in the notebooks.






The new tabs extended farther than the sheet protectors - well, for the most part - making them easier to see and read.








I was able to scavenge the notebooks themselves from various places. I did wind up having to buy more manila folders and more sheet protectors, but now I have plenty of both, so if I want to add to my notebooks or even make up an additional notebook, I should be able to do it without having to buy anything else. 

5 comments:

  1. Kris,

    We must be cut from the same cloth! I did almost the exact same thing. Manilla folders cut in 1/2 as separators. My binders are ... 1st Aide ... Gardening ... Food Preservation (canning, dehydrating, etc.) ... House/Homestead Info ... & Recipes (breakfast, soups/salads, casseroles, meat, etc).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's encouraging! Makes me more confident I'm on the right path. I might wind up needing a binder just for recipes eventually, because I keep collecting them :)

      Delete
  2. We keep binders here too. Makes for great source, especially in an emergency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think next I would like to make a binder with important medical information for everyone in our local extended family, and pass one out to each home. That way if something happened to one family, anyone who got contacted could answer important questions for doctors, etc.

      I just don't know if everyone else would be on board for that! Not everyone wants to divulge all their health/personal information.

      Delete
  3. Given the complex issues of modern business phone systems, owners have options to hire a consultant in arranging the technology, or register to an external small Business Phone Service. The majority of small business owners normally choose the latter option for the next few years.

    ReplyDelete