Several months ago, I found what I was looking for: a sale :) I was able to pick up a newer, clearanced model plus two rolls of plastic for a great price, and of course while I was at it, I ordered one large-mouth and one regular-mouth jar attachment. Here's how you use them.
Once your jar is filled, place the lid, but not the screw-on ring, on top of the jar. (The lid does not have to be heated or softened like it does for canning). Then simply fit the jar attachment over the top of the lid. Now you should have the attachment fitted on top of the jar, and the jar attachment connected to the FoodSaver unit via the hose.
Release the pressure by unlocking the lever on the side of the unit. You will hear a hissing noise when you do this. Then you should be able to pull the jar attachment off of the top of the jar.
|Jars sealed with FoodSaver & oxygen absorber.|
Now, that's the short story. Here is what happened when I tried to seal some jars with the FoodSaver and the regular-mouth jar attachment.
I have used both sizes of the jar attachments previously, with no problems. However, this time when I tried to use the regular-mouth attachment, the FoodSaver would go through the motions and seal the jar. But when I tried to remove the attachment from the jar, it would pull the lid off with it. I tried it a few times and it kept happening. Then the rubber gasket inside the jar attachment came off. I reseated it (it's not glued in or anything; it just fits in a groove), but after that, it came out almost every time I tried to use it. I don't know what changed from the previous times when I used it without incident; maybe the gasket warped or something, but that's just a guess.
So, after trying about a hundred times to get the jar to seal, and then getting the hubster to try, I got online and googled the jar attachment. I found several reviews on Amazon where other people had had the same problem. I guess it is a fault with the attachment. However, no one seemed to have the problem with the wide-mouth jar attachment. Weird.
I saw where a few people said they had luck with placing two lids on the jar and then using the jar attachment, so I tried that. Lo and behold, it worked! I will try that from now on if I continue to have problems. However, some of the reviewers said that worked for them sometimes, but not always. It may be that I have to just use wide-mouth jars with the FoodSaver from now on, and save the regular-mouth jars for actual canning.
At least one reviewer on Amazon doesn't think the FoodSaver actually removes all the air from the jar. He tested it by turning an empty, vacuum-sealed jar upside down in a bucket of water, and then prying the lid loose, and seeing how much water could actually enter the jar. Water could only fill 20% of the jar, which, he says, means the other 80% of the jar was filled with air. Sounds plausible to me, but then, I wasn't in the room when he did the experiment, and rather than try to recreate it myself, I think I'll just add an oxygen absorber to the jar for long-term storage.